Are you looking to achieve a beautiful smile by whitening your teeth? You should consider professional whitening solutions. Many people are turning to store-bought whitening kits for cost and convenience, but they aren’t really the best option for whiter teeth. Not only is professional whitening a safer option, but it will also give you faster, more effective results. Plus, at the dentist, you’ll get invaluable tips on how to maintain your beautiful white smile.
Common Reasons for Discolored Teeth
There are two types of tooth stains – stains on the surface of the tooth and stains on the inside of the tooth.
Causes of surface stains include:
- Drinking dark beverages like coffee, tea, and red wine
- Eating dark-colored foods such as sauces, grapes, blueberries, etc.
- Eating acidic foods
Stains within the tooth are typically caused by:
- Antibiotics taken as a child (tetracycline and doxycycline)
- Medications used to treat acne, gingivitis, and high blood pressure
Other causes of teeth discoloration are overall health and age. As you age, your enamel thins, giving your teeth a more yellow appearance. Genetics can also determine the natural color of your teeth.
To keep your teeth white and bright, it’s important to avoid eating foods and beverages that stain teeth, refrain from smoking, brush and floss multiple times a day, and see your dentist for regular cleanings.
Professional Whitening Options
New dental technology allows various options for teeth whitening.
- Zoom teeth whitening. Achieve a whiter smile in under an hour.
- Deep bleaching. For better and more effective results, this is a great option, although it takes a bit more time and effort. Deep bleaching involves revitalizing the tooth’s ability to absorb oxygen. Once oxygen is absorbed into the teeth, it breaks large dark stain molecules down to small white particles.
- Take home whitening system. Patients can whiten their teeth at home. The dentist molds a custom whitening tray according to the patient’s dental morphology. Some patients see results in as little as 2 to 3 days.
Learn More About Achieving a Whiter Smile
At Terrace Smiles Dentistry, we provide safe and effective solutions for patients with discolored teeth, improving their overall self-confidence. Contact our office today to learn more!