Laser dentistry is a decades-old method of performing various dental procedures. As expected, the lasers function by focusing light into energy. That energy is then channeled to either cut like a scalpel, vaporize, or act as a heat source.
- Tooth decay. Lasers are precise enough to remove decay within a tooth and prep the surrounding enamel for filling. They can also find evidence of tooth decay by detecting cavities.
- Teeth whitening. It’s not a discussion about lasers without the mention of teeth whitening, is it? Despite what it sounds like, your teeth are primarily bleached using a peroxide bleaching solution. Lasers are just used to speed up the process.
- Gum disease. Lasers are typically used to remove inflamed gum tissue during root canal procedures.
- Biopsy removal. A small piece of tissue known as a biopsy is typically removed using a laser. It is then inspected for signs of cancer.
Is It Safe?
Yes! If it’s a widely-used technique then there’s a high probability of it being safe. Laser dentistry is no different. Here’s some information that should dispel any anxiety you still feel:
- They have been used by dentists since the early 1990s.
- Terrace Smiles Dentistry reports that 98% of patients who have undergone Laser Periodontal Therapy remain stable after five years. In comparison, only 5% of those who underwent surgery have remained stable.
- Lasers are generally approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How Much Does It Cost?
- The cost depends on several factors such as the dentist’s location, the number of teeth being operated on, the type of technology being used, and of course, what type of insurance you have.
- The best course of action would be to contact your insurance company to ask about the laser treatments covered by your plan.
There you have it: laser dentistry isn’t just effective, it’s safe. It’s also just one of many services offered at Terrace Smiles Dentistry.
If you’re in the Temple Terrace area and you’ve never made an appointment with us before, you’re eligible for a discounted $99 exam, cleaning, consultation, and digital x-rays. You’re also eligible for free Invisalign consultation and $1,000 off of Invisalign treatment. Contact us today to schedule a consultation appointment at your earliest convenience.